Page & Park
Location and Community Context
77 Killearn Street, Glasgow
|Build Date||Project Date||Cost||Listing|
The impressive red brick St. Teresa of Lisieux Church in Possilpark was designed by Alexander McAnally & Partners and constructed between 1956-60. The congregation did not have the funds to build a replacement hall and instead sympathetically incorporated ancillary facilities into the nave. St. Teresa’s is an excellent of example of what is achievable with limited funds. St.Teresa's was constructed between 1956-60 by Glasgow architect Alexander McAnally. A Romanesque T-plan arrangement with a square-plan tower to the North-West, the building is constructed with steel frame and concrete casing, and finished with red brick exterior and cream dressings to the rounded-arched window openings. A modern construction, in modern materials, but retaining the traditional finishes, appearance and arrangement of ecclesiastical design. Internally the main worship space, complete with original oak pews and a tiled floor, was adapted by Page & Park in 1995 to form a new multipurpose space for use by the congregation. With a limited budget and a desire to preserve the architectural integrity of the original building, Page & Parks solution was both creative and simple. Using timber reclaimed from the removed pews they created a single storey barrel formed building-in-a-building to accommodate the more general congregation activities. The project highlights the possibilities to both modernise and still conserve and safe guard the historic nature of these buildings.