Location and Community Context
44 York Place, Edinburgh
|Build Date||Project Date||Cost||Listing|
A turn of the century Episcopal church, in the Gothic style built circa 1818, located within the centre of Edinburgh. Recently the building has been partially converted and a new three storey extension has been constructed, providing a flexible venue for conferences and other functions. The Episcopal St.Paul's and St.George's church designed by Archibald Elliot and built between 1816-18, and enlarged by Peddie & Kinnear, 1891-2, occupies a prominent position in York Street, in the centre of Edinburgh. The building is a perpendicular and symmetrical structure in the Gothic style of the time. Constructed in polished sandstone ashlar walls, the facades comprise pointed-arched windows with hoodmoulds and sloping cills, crocketted pinnacles and staged buttresses. The entrance is to the West Elevation with a stone projecting doorpiece, containing a 2-leaf gothic panelled timber door with splayed reveals. Internally there are 4-centred arches on stone piers, panelled timber ceilings with pierced timber arches. A plain organ case is located at the East end of the aisle, with the marble monuments throughout by John Steel and D W Stevenson, and an ogee Gothic tabernacle on the North wall of chancel by David Bryce. The building was in need of modernisation in order to continue to serve the local congregation effectively, and in 2008 a £5 million redevelopment project was undertaken by Lee Boyd Architects. A new glazed pavilion was constructed, forming a new entrance, and an additional three storey extension replaced the existing one storey hall (which was demolished), providing a multipurpose hall, meeting rooms, offices and kitchen facilities. Since its completion the modernisation has become a popular venue to hold conferences and functions within the city.