Peter Drummond Architects
Location and Community Context
|Build Date||Project Date||Cost||Listing|
A church with a traditional and restrictive layout, combined with limited hall facilities, modified to create a multi-purpose community hall space. Pollokshaws Church, built in the 1843, is one of the few buildings in the area that survived the development of the 1960s estate. With a very traditional and restrictive layout, combined with limited hall facilities, the congregation sought to create a multi-purpose community hall space. The pews were removed and the sanctuary completed redecorated, giving the space a much brighter and more inviting atmosphere. The church is now used by a number of groups throughout the week, therefore increasing the occupancy of the building. The new central glass door replaced the two smaller aisle doors providing a more welcoming and defined entrance. The project demonstrates how relatively small alterations can combine to produce an impressive transformation. The redevelopment has breathed new life into a tired space and provided a modern community facility. The project was in two phases (sanctuary then hall), each costing c.£110k.