Glasgow Climbing Centre (Former Ibrox Methodist Church)

ibrox-methodist-exterior

Project Architect

TBC

Location and Community Context

534 Paisley Road West, Glasgow

Project Description

Build Date Project Date Cost Listing
1867 1994 TBC B

A 19th century Gothic style, 2 storey box with gable elevation to street, and tower with spiral to the South-West corner. Previously modified, in the early 1990s to provide indoor climbing facilities. Ibrox Methodist Church, design by Angus Kennedy and built between 1867 – 8, was commissioned by the United Presbyterian Church and was originally part of the United Free Church, and later the Church of Scotland. Originally designed as a simple box, without aisles, a chancel and transepts were added later in 1896, by architects Bruce and Hay. The exterior is finished in ashlar stonework, a gable elevation to the street, and tower with spiral to the Southwest corner. Internally, many of the original features still remain including an elaborate open roof, carved wooden beams and stained glass windows. Used for worship until the early 1990s, by the Methodist church, the building has since been converted to provide sports facilities by the Glasgow Climbing Centre, including a variety climbing and bouldering walls, some as high as 12 meters.

Further Information

Glasgow Climbing Centre

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland