Location and Community Context
Dalrymple Street, Girvan
|Build Date||Project Date||Cost||Listing|
An Arts and Crafts Gothic church in the town centre. The dwindling congregation were struggling to cope with the condition of the large traditional church and hall, so developed a project to concentrate their use of the church and sold the hall for re-development and to fund the re-ordering and refurbishment of the church. The Girvan Methodist Church is an example of an early 19th century construction, designed by architcs Watson and Salmond in 1903.The church west gable and roof were suffering storm and general weather damage and HS assisted with a first phase of repairs in 1995. However by 2004 it was becoming a problem for the small congregation to cope with the repairs required for church and adjoining hall. A proposal to sell the hall on to relieve the burden also generated funds that covered the costs of alteration and refurbishing the church. The re-ordering included removal of pews, levelling of the floor and conversion of the side aisle to provide meeting room, kitchen and toilets. All accommodation is now fully accessible. The flexible space of the church accommodates all church activities and for several years was shared by the small Episcopalian congregation who had given up their building. The hall has been converted for residential use.