Page & Park
Location and Community Context
Main Street, Dunlop, East Ayrshire
|Build Date||Project Date||Cost||Listing|
A “T” shaped village church, original architect unknown, but refurbishment undertaken by John Small in 1884, that has been through centuries of change and alteration from 12th century to its current form. The building has a simple plan with a vestry extension and is surrounded by a graveyard and is part of an A listed grouping. An urgent repair project has been used as an opportunity for regeneration in meeting the needs of the church and village. An extensive dry rot outbreak discovered in 2007 led to a major repair project and an opportunity for re-ordering, refurbishment and improvement of facilities within the church. Repairs were necessary for the roof and stonework suffering water ingress and removal of the inner wall linings. The floor was replaced and an under-floor heating system installed. Removed pews provided a flexible space to the main sanctuary and the traditional gallery with pews retained. Removal of original chancel furnishings, re-modelling of the sanctuary and provision of accessible toilets has helped generate a flexible space for worship and community activity. The church is looking towards a further phase to improve on vestry and crèche facilities.