Patience & Highmore
Location and Community Context
Berneray, North Uist
|Build Date||Project Date||Cost||Listing|
Former Thomas Telford designed church located in the Outer Hebrides. The buildings has since been converted and restored for residential use and was the subject of a channel 4 television programme. Built in 1829 and designed by the famous engineer Thomas Telford (1757-1834), the former Berneray Church is one of the 24 'Parliamentary Churches' constructed across the country after the Napoleonic Wars. Like all of the Parliamentary Churches the church is a traditional T-plan form and is constructed of random rubble work with ashlar dressings. The original building has 2 inner windows and a set of outer doors along the East facade, with depressed-arched openings comprising simple iron tracery throughout. The original roof was finished in local slate but lost during its period of disuse, and the building was merely a shell, open to the elements prior to its 2009 conversion. The conversion faithfully restored the exterior facades with the addition of modern double glazed windows and new insulated roof structure finished in local Ballacholish slate. Internally, the existing shell was dramatically altered to create large, warm and light filled spaces that provide long internal views. Creating a strong contrast between the old and new, the light and dark, from the interior to the exterior. The new elements respectively blend within the original architectural forms of Telford.