Location and Community Context
209 Bath Street, Glasgow
|Build Date||Project Date||Cost||Listing|
An Italianate church, built in the late 19th century, with a raised temple front and adjacent pedimented transverse blocks, partially converted in the early 1990s to accommodate commercial facilities while still providing religious worship to the local parish. Adelaide Place Baptist Church, designed by T L Watson and built circa 1887, for the congregations move from Hope Street, is designed in an Italianate* style with a raised temple front and Corinthian style columns supporting a central pediment (main elevation to Pitt Street). Either side of this are pedimented blocks with sash and case and arcaded windows, complete with outer pilasters and friezes (both elevations, Bath Street and Bath Lane respectively). The building is constructed in polished coursed blonde ashlar stone, channelled at ground level, and sneaked rubble work to the rear elevation. Within the building comprises a galleried interior with pews arranged in circular curves around central point. A plain reading desk atop a platform replaces the traditional pulpit, located in front of a baptistery of white marble. The stained glass windows throughout are by W & J J Keir. Alongside the worship spaces, building also comprises, since the 1995 conversion, a children's nursery, large auditorium with capacity for around 400 persons and a small guest house that can accommodate up to 8 people.